Ginger Beer is a non-alcoholic beverage, which has origins in West Africa. Ginger Root is high in Vitamin K, B6 and Magnesium.
* 2 lbs fresh ginger root
* 1 cup sugar (or more to taste)
* 1 fresh pineapple (ripe)
* 14 cups water
1. Wash the ginger root. Cut it into 1/2 ” pieces.
2. Move half of cut ginger into the blender. Add 1 cup of water. Cover and set blender to high. Blend until ginger coarsely chopped and mixed well into the water.
3. Transfer this mixture to a large pot.
4. Repeat with the rest of the ginger. Add this mixture to the pot.
5. Wash the pineapple. Use a sharp knife to remove the peeling. Slice the peeling off so that you also remove a half-inch of pineapple along with the skin.
Cut the peeling into one-inch pieces.
6. Transfer half of the cut pineapple peeling to the blender. Add 1 cup of water and blend on high until pineapple is in small pieces and mixed in the water.
7. Move to the pot of ginger.
8. Repeat with the rest of the cut pineapple. Add to the mixture in the pot.
9. Add 10 more cups of water to the pot. Half-cover the pot with the top. Bring to a boil on high and boil on medium for about 30 minutes.
10. Remove the pot from the stove. Cover the pot completely and allow the mixture to sit for 8 hours or overnight at room temperature.
11. Pour the mixture through a metal strainer to remove the larger pieces of ginger and pineapple peel. Use a wooden spoon to press the liquid through the strainer.
12. Use a clean cotton kitchen cloth (or clean wash cloth) to strain out the finer particles. Use your clean hands to squeeze the ginger beer out of the cloth.
13. To sweeten, first add 1 cup of sugar and stir. Add more sugar to desired taste.
14. Chill and enjoy.
15. Store in the fridge.