Maharagwe ya Nazi is a Swahili dish that consists of beans and coconut milk. This dish is enjoyed mostly by the people of Kenya and Tanzania.
* 1 cup dried red kidney beans
* 2 yellow onions, medium-size chopped
* 1-2 tablespoon oil
* 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons turmeric
* 3 chilli peppers, ground into a paste or 1.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* 2 cups coconut milk
1. In a large pot, cover the beans with water and simmer until they are nearly tender.
2. In a separate pot, saute onions in oil until golden brown.
3. Add the tomatoes, salt, turmeric, chilli peppers/cayenne pepper, beans and coconut milk. Simmer until the beans are very tender and the tomatoes are cooked.
4. Serve with rice, bread or a stiff porridge.