This Berber Omelette recipe by KateL, is popular in Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Egypt and Tunisia.
• olive oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground paprika
• 10 tomatoes, peeled and diced
• 7 eggs, beaten
• 1⁄2 cup coriander, chopped
• salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Heat your tagine [earthenware pot] on the stove and add some olive oil with the onion and cook slowly for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the spices and cook for a further 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and coriander then simmer for about 10-15 minutes, make sure you stir occasionally and reduce to a sauce consistency.
5. Remove from the heat and pour the beaten eggs over the sauce, cover with the tagine [earthenware pot] lid and place in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until it lightly puffs and sets.
6. Season with salt and pepper before serving, if desired.