Tamarind Juice is a popular sweet and tangy drink from East Africa. This recipe was created by Meli Bug. Happy Springtime!
• 2 cups tamarind pulp
• 6-8 cups water
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• honey (optional)
• 2 tablespoons lime juice (optional)
1. Boil the water.
2. Place the tamarind pulp in a heatproof mixing bowl or baking dish.
3. Add lime juice if using it.
4. Pour boiling water over the tamarind.
5. Stir in brown sugar and/or honey.
6. Cover and allow to stand for several hours or overnight.
7. Strain the tamarind water through a strainer or clean cloth.
8. Dilute with more water and add more sugar or honey to taste.
9. Refrigerate and serve over ice.