It’s almost winter here in the Southern Hemisphere, and it’s time for comfort food! I found this warm, filling, and spicy recipe that will warm us up during these chilly months. The creator of this recipe, is the lovely Imma from Immaculate Bites.
• 1 cup dry lentils (soaked for 2 hours)
• 1 -2 Tablespoons Spiced butter/Coconut oil/¼ cup cooking oil
• 1 large onion diced
• 1½ Tablespoons berbere spice
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon coriander or cumin
• ½ Tablespoon fresh minced ginger
• 1 Tablespoons Tomato paste
• 2 cups or more broth (Vegetable/Chicken) or water
• 2 green onions chopped
• 2 tablespoons or more chopped parsley/Cilantro
• Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat up large saucepan with oil, spiced butter, then add onions, garlic, ginger coriander spice, all spice and smoked paprika, stir occasionally for about 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
2. Then add soaked lentils, tomato paste, stir and sauté for about 2-3 more minutes. Add stock/water if necessary to prevent any burns.
3. Bring to a boil and let it simmer until sauce thickens, it might take about 30 minutes or depending on how you like your lentils. Throw in some parsley, adjust for salt, pepper and stew consistency.
4. Serve warm with rice, or a bread type of your choice.