This recipe is by C3 Food Services. My mouth is watering! This is a combination of two of my favourite delicacies. Malva Pudding and Amarula Cream. Malva Pudding is a delicious and sweet pudding, which originated from the Cape Malay people of South Africa. Its main ingredients are: flour, sugar, milk and apricot jam. It is served hot with custard or ice-cream. Amarula Cream is a South African liqueur, made from the marula fruit.
* 1/2 cup castor sugar
* 1 egg
* 1.5 tablespoons apricot jam
* 1 cup flour
* 1 teaspoon baking flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
* 1 cup milk
For the syrup:
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 cup castor sugar
* 1/2 cup boiling water
* 1 cup Amarula Cream
* Pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. Whisk together the sugar and the eggs, until very creamy, thick and pale, and leaves a ribbon when lifting the whisk.
3. Add the jam, flour, baking powder and salt, and stir in until blended.
4. Pour the milk, sprinkle over bicarbonate of soda, and quickly whisk it all together.
5. Pour the batter into a greased baking dish. Cover with a lid, and bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown, and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. While baking, make the syrup.
7. Melt the butter in a pot, then stir in all the other ingredients and blend.
8. Heat gently. Don’t allow to boil.
9. Once the pudding is removed from the oven, pour over this syrup, allowing it to soak through.
10. Serve hot with custard.